I am thankful that I can nurse my baby. Before Nathaniel was born, I planned to try to nurse him. I read books about breastfeeding, and I learned that it's hard. I learned that there are about a million problems that women encounter when attempting to nurse, and I learned that most women in the USA don't nurse for very long, if at all. I also learned that nursing my baby is the best thing that I can do for him. What could be better for a newborn baby than the milk from his mommy that is specially made for him? Nothing. Formula can nourish a baby, but it does not contain all of the antibodies and goodness of breast milk, and it definitely doesn't give the same bonding opportunities.
Before he was ever born, I decided that I would try to nurse my baby, but I wouldn't beat myself up if I failed. That's what I decided. Truth is, I would have beat myself up every day and felt guilty with every bottle, had I not been able to breastfeed. Why? That's just how I am, and I want the very best for my son--no matter what.
Planning to nurse a baby and actually nursing a baby are two totally different things. There is no way to learn ahead of time, and there really isn't much you can do to prepare yourself. After I gave birth, I crossed my fingers that Nate would get a good latch, and we'd have an easy go of it right from the start. No such luck. I was clumsy and didn't know how to position myself or my baby, and he didn't know how to get food--especially when my milk hadn't come in yet! To top things off, the doctor ordered formula supplementation to speed up Nate's jaundice loss. I knew that I had read somewhere that when formula is supplemented, it is almost impossible to stop it because the baby is used to a bottle (easier to drink) and the mother's milk supply is therefore diminished. I was upset, but didn't know what to do about it.
When we got home, I renewed my plans to exclusively nurse Nathaniel. It was easy. Seriously. Once my milk came in (3-4 days after birth), I simply stopped giving the formula to him. We learned to breastfeed together. He gained weight like a champ, and my milk supply is perfect. I am still exclusively nursing, he is still growing, and I couldn't be prouder! I am so thankful that I can give my baby this precious gift, and I am thankful that it has worked out so perfectly--despite a few loops in the beginning.
Disclaimer: I am not bashing baby formula, nor those who use it. Nursing is what works best for us, and I know that everyone is different. As long as a baby is well-fed and loved, that's what really matters!
No comments:
Post a Comment