Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful, day 16.

     I am thankful that I have godly parents who raised me in a Christian home.  They provided and safe and loving childhood, and I appreciate all that they did for me.  They demonstrated love for me in so many ways, even when I did not understand how love could be shown through discipline.  My parents took me to church every single Sunday--whether I wanted to go or not!  They made me clean my room, eat my vegetables, do my homework, and be nice to my little brothers.  They even gave (and enforced) a curfew!  My parents love each other, and we kids could not avoid the occasional embrace in the kitchen.  Of course, we ignored them because they were old, and seeing our parents kissing was just too gross
     Growing up, there were lots of things about my parents' parenting skills that I did not like and "would never do to my child!"  But, you know what?  I'm a parent now.  And, I understand exactly where my own parents stood on issues and why they did what they did.  I appreciate the "strict" rules that we grew up with, and you know what?  I plan to raise my son the same way.  If that makes me a mean mom some days, so be it.  I've seen other parents who do not incorporate God or discipline into their children's lives, and I have seen the inevitable results--no thanks!  I only hope that Eric and I can be as good of parents as my own parents are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...