Sometimes, I hear my baby stir at 3 am, and I struggle to open my eyes. We find each other in the dark, and I nurse him back to sleep, my own eyes closed and my head nodding.
Other times, I hear him wake, and I am instantly alert. I wake up and savor each moment. I love the way that he stirs and wiggles, and I am so completely attuned that I know in my sleep whether he is really awake or not--before he ever makes a peep.
I flick on the nightlight in my alarm clock, which provides just barely enough light for us to see one another. I sit up, pull his warm little body to mine, and we bond. He nurses, and I think about how perfect we are together. Our little family, snug in bed. I cherish the quiet peacefulness that settles over our home at night. I think, I pray, I dream, I love... There is such a contentment in our warm, quiet bedroom. I hear their steady, rhythmic breathing, and I am so blessed. My emotions are almost indescribable; I am overwhelmed with such love and peace, and I am absolutely confident that there is nothing better than this. I know that these night feedings will not last forever--they are already getting fewer. My baby will grow up, and he won't always fit perfectly into my arms. But, while he's tiny, I will enjoy every single second--especially the ones at 3 am!
I savor these brief moments, often holding my boy tight, long after he's finished eating. When I finally lay him down, I pull his blanket tighter and kiss his fuzzy head. He turns his face toward mine, and his body angles against me {no matter what position he starts in, he always gravitates toward me in his sleep}. I breathe in his sweet, milky breath, and I tell him that I love him, forever and always.
Pure bliss...
No comments:
Post a Comment