Yesterday was Dr Seuss Day, which I did not realize until late in the evening when I logged onto Facebook and read numerous favorite Dr Seuss quotes from my {mostly teacher} friends' statuses. Around these parts, we love a good Dr Seuss book! My two favorites are "Oh, The Thinks You Can Think" and "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!" When I was little, I had a collection of almost all of Dr Seuss's rhyming stories. And, I didn't care much for them because I thought them juvenile and silly. As an adult, I love reading Dr Seuss because I enjoy the rhyme schemes, the made up words, and, of course, the silliness! Nathaniel is already well on his way to being a proud owner of the whole collection!
Since we missed the official birthday of our favorite doctor, we've been celebrating this morning! {We didn't have green eggs and ham for breakfast since Nate is a little young, but, next year--watch out!} We read several stories, and Nate modeled his Cat in the Hat onesie (one of the very first baby purchases that I made when I found out that I was pregnant...).
As fun and silly as Dr Seuss books are, I've found quite a few gems of wisdom in them as an adult. Like I said, my favorites are "Oh, The Thinks You Can Think" and "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!" I love these two books because the first is about thinking--thinking that you can go anywhere and do anything! This is an important concept that I will teach my boy--because he can do anything that he wants! "Think left and think right; and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" And, my favorite bit from the next: "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Does that even need an explanation?
I value learning and the knowledge that we can do whatever we want very highly.....although as a selfish momma, I secretly have my fingers crossed that Nate's "places he'll go" won't be too far away! {This coming from a gal who moved to Spain after graduating from college...!} Amidst meeting jibboos and wockets in pockets, Dr. Seuss inspired children to read and learn and think for themselves. Is there any concept more important than these?
Happy Belated Birthday, Dr Seuss!
No comments:
Post a Comment