Why is it that these last few weeks of winter always creep so slowly? We're teased by a balmy day here and there, then we wake up to a fresh coating of snow! I don't like to complain about the seasons and the weather; I love them all...but these little neon shoots are exciting me today! {We all know those people who believe that New Years Day should be the last day of winter, right? Ahem, winter only just begins on December 20.}
Recently, I've been itchin' to get outside! I'm the one who starts taking long walks when it hits 40 degrees, and I've been known to open all the windows to "air out the house" when it's 55 outside. This year is different; I've got a little guy (who likes to be warm!). We've bundled up for a few walks when it's been chilly, but, overall, we stay in the house. I don't mind staying in most days--what is better than a cozy day with a cooing baby?! But, oh, I am craving a long walk outside {sans wooly hats and puffy jackets}!
I'm bored of our winter hibernation, and I can't wait to open the windows, breathe in the perfume of hydrangea, wear flip flops, take Nathaniel to swing at the park, see the trees turn green, go for long walks after supper, sit on the deck with a glass of iced tea, blow bubbles and scribble with sidewalk chalk, stay in the sun until my shoulders freckle, and fill the wading pool! I am ready for change. Summer change.
I really do like winter--I love snow and the crisp air! I love the quiet and the coziness of home. I love the regal beauty that autumn brings. I love the long, humid summer afternoons. But, spring? Well, I love the promise of spring.
{For some reason, spring just makes me think of mud, which I do not like.} I like spring rains, I really do. I like the beauty that spring brings back into the drab, sleepy world. But, mostly I like the fact that spring is our transition from a long winter into sweet summertime!
We spent a few minutes outside this afternoon, and I was surprised at the amount of green that I found. And, that gorgeous, azure sky! Despite the new snow two days ago (which finished melting today), spring really is coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment