Monday, December 20, 2010

nativity.


     After having my own first baby son this year, I've been doing a lot of thinking about Mary this holiday season.  I supposed I've always tried to relate to her in some way--c'mon, she's the only girl in the Christmas story!  I've been thinking about Nate's birth in a pristine hospital room with medical personnel surrounding us...I was scared, and I worried about him.  How much do you think Mary worried about birthing her own precious baby on the cold, dirty floor of a barn?!  Nate is four months old, and I still obsess about germs; I cannot even begin to imagine giving birth in a stinky barn.
     We think of Mary as the mother of Jesus, but we often forget about her as her own person.  Yes, I know that bringing the Savior of the world into the world is a much more important role than...well, anything!  But, still.  I cannot even begin to imagine the emotions that must have been running through Mary from the moment that angel appeared to her, while she traveled to Bethlehem enduring contractions, when she realized that the baby was coming now in a less than comfortable environment, when she first caught a glimpse of her son--the Messiah!  I could go on and on.....how would it feel to watch your baby learn to walk, while knowing that he's walked among angels before?  How would it feel to raise a son from birth to adulthood, knowing that he would be "wounded for our transgressions, ...bruised for our iniquities...."? (Isaiah 53:3) 
     Even though we seem to stick a frail little Mary next to the manger in our nativity scene, I'm pretty sure that Mary was a strong, strong woman.
     Is there any way that Mary could have even begun to understand to significance of her baby boy?  Maybe, just maybe she did. 
     Mary, did you know?
     The following is a link to the blog It's Almost Naptime. She writes a beautiful observation of Mary's experience that truly touched my heart.  I know that it's long, but read it; you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...