Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weaned.

I think that I can safely say that Nathaniel is completely weaned now. As much as I didn't want our nursing relationship to be over, I am glad that is ended in the way that it did.
I had originally planned to nurse for one year. And, when we hit that goal, I was very proud. I wasn't sure that I wanted to stop, and I decided that, for now, I would let Nate decide when he was ready to be finished. When I got pregnant, I did a bit of research on the topic of breastfeeding while pregnant. I read that it is generally safe to nurse an older child while pregnant, as long as the pregnancy is progressing normally. I also read that many children will wean themselves because of milky supply drops, as well as changes in the taste of the milk. Since I'd already exceeded my goal of one year and have no interest in tandem nursing, I decided to stick it out until Nate was 18 months old, then work on weaning (at 14 weeks pregnant).
We've been down to one nursing session/day (at bedtime) for about 2 months now. To my surprise, on Monday night, for the first time ever, Nate didn't seem to have any interest in nursing. On Tuesday, the same thing. On Wednesday, I realized that it was over. He had weaned himself.
I'll admit that I shed a few tears, but I really am happy. I wish that I had known that our last nursing session would be our last, but it's probably best that I didn't because I might have cried the whole time! I could not possibly be happier that he decided this on his own because I was dreading the night that I would have to refuse him. It's been a wonderful year and a half, and I wouldn't trade that nursing relationship for anything! It lasted a lot longer than I'd hoped, and, despite a few bumps in the road, it was far easier than I'd imagined. I think the reason that I'm sad is because nursing was Nate's one last "baby thing" that was left. I don't miss the inconvinience of finding a place to feed my baby in public, and I don't miss multiple night wakings--but I will miss all the extra snuggles and the comfort that it provided us both. I will miss nursing him, but I am so excited to see what is next on this journey of motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...