Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Perfect Mother.

Being a mother is tough work. No, I'm not getting into the "being a stay-at-home momma is/isn't the hardest job in the world" debate, but rather, I'm simply stating that being a mom isn't easy. Ever. Sure, some kids are easier than others, and some phases are harder than others--but so what? Being a parent is hard. First of all, there's that whole "keeping this kid alive" responsibility. And the list goes on and on--healthy foods? normal sleep patterns? thriving relationships? developmental milestones? potty-training? instilling morals/values? Decisions, decisions, decisions! As far as I know, the fool-proof guide to parenting has yet to be written, so what's a mom to do? Advice is great--but often contradictory.
I want to be the best momma that I possibly can be to my boys, and for me, that means being a stay-at-home-mom, breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, vaccinating, cooking, cleaning, playing, reading, and a lot of prayer! Do I know other mommas who do things differently in their houses? Sure do! Are they wrong? Nope. Being a good mom, the best mom even, means doing what works for you and your babies. The best mommy for one child is not nesessarily the best mom for another. Just like mothers vary, so do babies.
I've questioned my own parenting decisions and styles numerous times--some of which have resulted in change, and some which have not. I don't know anyone else's children like I know my own, and I try not to judge when I see a parent doing something that isn't my own way. We're all in this parenting thing together--and nobody gets it all right the first time! Being the very best momma (or daddy!) means simply meeting your own child's needs in the way that best suits your family. My boys are healthy, fed, rested, clean, happy, and above all, loved. That's because they have the very best momma for them.
Seriously. It's taken me a while to come to terms with that--I've doubted myself a million times since I became a mother. But, that doesn't matter. I do what I can to be the very best mom for them, and that is what's important. I'm not saying that I'm the universal best mommy, trust me--I know there are lots of moms who play with their kids more, read to their kids more, cook for their kids more, even pray for their kids more. And, good for those kids--and their mommas! If I was tossed into someone else's house, there's no way I could parent their children as well as they do. On the contrary, they couldn't do what I do for my boys daily--even if they read more Clifford books in a day to my kid! Being a good mom is all about parenting your child(ren) like he/she needs to be parented. Most often, it is that child's own mother/father who is the best at that job. And that, my friends, is what makes most of us win the "perfect mother" award--even when our rugs aren't vacuumed, the kids ate toast for lunch, we're in the throes of a toddler tantrum, or we're still in jammies at 2pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...