Sunday, December 11, 2011

Santa?

(image from Epic Wallpapers.)

Do you belive in Santa Clause? Did you? Does your child? Personally, I have never believed that Santa Clause was real. My parents taught me that it was a game that people played, and I never questioned it. I didn't feel slighted or cheated to have missed out on any sort of "magical" Christmas wonder; I simply knew the truth. I've always known that I'd tell my children the same thing. But, as a mother of a child who will probably start noticing/questioning Santa Clause within the next year, it's a little more complicated. No, I will not teach Nate that Santa is real. He's not, and I firmly believe that children should always be told the truth. Always.
But, for the first time this year, I've found myself thinking about Santa and almost wishing that he were real. Can you imagine? A world in which every single child receives his/her Christmas wish? There would be no parents dreading Christmas morning because they can't afford gifts. There would be no orphans missing out on a special Christmas surprise. There would be no "Angel Tree" at the mall. There would be no Operation Christmas Child. Every single child would wake up on Christmas morning to presents!! Now, I know that Christmas isn't really all about the gifts, but it is about the children. And, like it or not, to kids, Christmas is very much about gifts.
I suppose that in a world with a real Santa Clause, we would miss out on opportunities to give, and that would take away some of the spirit of the season. But, really, there is no reason why we couldn't give anyway! Isn't that what Santa would want us to do? And, in a world with a real Santa, I think we'd all be working a little harder to stay on the Nice List!
(image from Christmas Clip Art)

Merry Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...