We've been having a rough start to the new year around here. I think that Nathaniel is either teething or having a super duper growth spurt. Or both. He's been fussy for three days, and only sleeping in 2 hour increments. All. Night. Long. He's been waking up to eat, then {thank goodness!} going right back to sleep. Unless his nose is stuffy from the dry air; then I have aspirate his nose, which makes him grouchy. (Yes, I guess having someone suck snot from my nose wouldn't exactly be a lullaby...!) Then, I nurse him again until he falls asleep.
So, you might say, that's what babies do. Sure, that's what most babies do, but not my baby! He's never slept less than 4 hour stretches at night since he was born! Last night, I hugged him extra tight because he was so stinkin' cute when we were up at 1:00. At 3:21, I kept telling myself to be thankful that I have such a beautiful son. At 4:01, I read a chapter of a book. At 4:55, I told myself that there are millions of women who would do anything to be in my shoes. At 7:18, I considered asking one of those women to come babysit for the night. At 7:55, I got up and showered. I might add that it's now past 10:00, and Nathaniel is still sleeping!
Don't get me wrong here, I feel terrible for my little guy. I wish I could take all of the pain away. {...why must baby teething be painful anyway? He didn't ask for those teeth!} He's trying his very best to be happy, but it's rough when he's crying before he ever opens his eyes to wake up. We've been having lots of snuggle time, and I've got my fingers crossed that today will be better! Of course, this isn't getting him completely down; after about every other {nice long} nap and a good, long nursing, Nathaniel does have a bit of happy awake time! I've been getting laughs at peek-a-boo, giggles at tickles, and big, sleepy smiles at night....come to think of it, all those night wakings were totally worth it for my boy!
Now if you'll excuse me, I think I hear a baby stirring, and I'll bet he's got a morning smile for his mommy...
No comments:
Post a Comment