Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sick; our reality.

I've always thought of the flu as some sort of "rite of passage" for a stay-at-home mom. I had romantic visions in my head of cuddling on the couch with my sick boy, watching cartoons while slurping chicken noodle soup and popsicles. In my mind, our day wouldn't be wonderful (c'mon, he's sick!), but it would be cozy and comforting.
For the past several days, Nate has battled the reality of the flu--and, let me tell you, it's been neither cozy nor comforting. He's miserable, and we're all exhausted. There has been plenty of juice, noodle soup and popsicles, and lots more television watching than normal (I had no idea Clifford The Big Red Dog was the only cartoon acceptable for a sick two-year-old!). Sleep has been long and plentiful, but my rest is interrupted with incessant coughing and whimpering through the baby monitor.
As a mother, these days (and nights!) are trying. Of course, I feel terrible for my boy, but the most frustrating thing is not being able to help. I've made all of his favorite foods, only to watch him take two bites and push the plate away. I've doled out medicines, slathered him with vabo-rub, turned on the humidifier, and propped his head upright, only to listen to him cough all night long. I've made smoothies, read stories, and cuddled on the couch--only to be pushed away by a crying child. He desperately wants to feel better, but doesn't know how to make that happen. He asks for medicine and kisses, but none of them really make him feel better. My poor little guy has to ride it out--and so does his momma.
So far, Nathaniel is the only one in our house who is sick. Prayers that he gets well soon, and that the rest of us stay well! Until then, we'll be at home watching Clifford and drinking apple juice. Hope you and yours are healthy and happy!

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes and lots of prayers for a full recovery from down the street!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...