How often do you get outside? I try to get myself and Nate (and Eric if he's home) outside every day. During the winter, I deemed it impossible to be outside with an infant. Now, it's warm and wonderful! I don't want my boy to grow up into a person who hates to be outdoors because "it's too hot" or "there are too many bugs" or "the sun is too bright" or any other goofy excuse. We've headed out at all hours of the day, and I have to admit that I enjoy sitting on the deck or in the backyard a whole lot better than in the living room (We've already spent too many months cooped in there!). When we get out to the park or the walking trail--even better! We took Nate to the playground yesterday, and we all had so much fun!I want Nathaniel to love being outdoors--even more than he'll love television or computer games or whatever new technology with which his generation will be enamored. He will grow up playing outside--whether he wants to or not! Playing outside isn't just tee-ball and trips to the pool, it's also driving cars through the dirt in the backyard, lunch picnics on the patio, catching lightening bugs at dusk, walking the dog down the street, and games of hide and seek with siblings. Being outside should be a central part of a child's "growing up", and it's vital to make it a part of home.
My most vivid memories of childhood are outside. I remember playing a million games with my brothers in our backyard. And, almost none of the games were "real" organized games. We created them ourselves, and if they were fun, they stuck around for a season or two. We spent hours and hours outside, in every season, in almost every weather! We rarely watched television, we didn't have air conditioning, and we didn't even know what the internet was! We wore out sneakers every summer, we consumed copious amounts of pudding pops on the swingset, and we were always covered in bruises and mosquito bites. We played in the creek, in the mud, in the woods, and, occasionally, in the yard. And, oh, we had fun! We didn't have a swimming pool, and we didn't go to the playground often. None of us played on any organized teams, and we often lost balls in the woods. We were best friends, but we bickered like mortal enemies. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I had a wonderful childhood. And, that's what I want for my son.
When we chose to buy this house, one of my favorite features was the outside space. We are surrounded by trees and nature and a million things for a little boy to discover. Fifteen years ago, my brothers and I would have scaled the hill behind this house and been busy for a full summer with whatever we may have found! In just a few years, that will be Nate's job. And, although he's not climbing quite yet, I'm already teaching him to appreciate the outdoors. We play on the deck, walk the dog, eat lunch on the patio, drag out the baby pool to the yard, and then we retire into the AC for naptime!
Nathaniel really seems to enjoy being outside too, and I don't blame him--there's a lot more to look at out there than in here! He waves his arms and squeals when we head out the door, and I couldn't be prouder! I love watching him explore the grass or examine a twig. No matter how young, nature is an important {science!} lesson to teach.
No comments:
Post a Comment