Saturday, December 14, 2013

Soft Christmas Ornament Tutorial.

This is a repost from last year (and the photos were from the year before!), but I think it's worth sharing again. I originally made these soft ornaments in 2011, and they are still holding up well on (and off) our Christmas tree with two little boys now!
***************************************************************

Need a bunch of soft Christmas ornaments for the bottom portion of your Christmas tree? Last year, I discovered that our tree was sorely lacking in the "toddler-friendly" department, so I went on a mission to find some. And, the only ones that I found were much more expensive than any ornaments ought to be (let alone the non-breakable sort!). So, I made my own. Here's a tutorial for some super easy, kid-friendly, and cute Christmas tree ornaments!


Supplies:
felt
thread (in colors to match the felt)
ribbon
scissors
marker
circular object to trace (2" to 3" across)


1) Trace circles onto the felt. You will need approximately 7 circles for each ornament.

2) Cut out the circles.

3) Give scraps of felt to toddler for entertainment purposes.
(Hey vintage Nate!)

4) Fold a felt circle in half.

5) Fold the (already folded) circle in half again, and stitch in place. Place several stitches (one on top of the other) to hold felt in place. Repeat steps 4 and 5 without cutting the thread until you have all six felt circles attached.

6) Stitch the first and last (folded) circles together to form a ball.

7) Place a few more stitches along a length of thread (tied in a circle) to form the hanger. Knot the thread, and trim excess pieces off.

8) Enjoy your new ornaments!
(Nate enjoyed taking "his" ornaments off and on the tree approximately 100 times/day last year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...