Thursday, September 5, 2013

Worry?


Are you a worrier? I am. It's something that I've struggled with for most of my life--and even more so since becoming a momma! One of my favorite passages is Matthew 6:25-34, where we are assured that our worry is in vain. God provides all that we need--and, really, what do we accomplish by worrying? If you're familiar with this scripture, you know that it describes the birds and flowers that do not worry or even work, yet are continuously taken care of by our Creator.

This summer, I've had a beautiful reminder of this passage in a flowerbox on my deck. This darling little red petunia sprouted about two months ago, and has been continuously blooming ever since--sometimes with two or three blooms at a time! I haven't ever watered it or fertilized it--nor did I plant it! In fact, I didn't plant a single thing in that flowerbox this year because I've always had such problems keeping plants alive in it!

I did have petunias in that flower box last year, but petunias are annuals, meaning that they don't typically reseed themselves. After a bit of investigation, I've learned that petunias that do happen to reseed and sprout are often scrawny and without blooms. Like I said, my little petunia has produced countless flowers all summer! What an awesome reminder of the care that our Lord gives even a little plant. Every time that I glance out our glass door and spot the cheery red blooms, I am comforted by the reminder that God is in control, he will provide all that we need--and that we are so much more important that a little plant!

After enjoying my petunia all summer, I decided to write this quick blog entry to share with you. Of course, I snapped a few photos (above) to include. Last night, I stepped out onto the deck, and was surprised to find another flower growing in the box. Next to my petunia, there is a little pink impatien growing! How did it get there? My best guess is those birds of the air or the wind--with a little divine intervention, of course! I do have an impatien plant in a pot on the deck--but, it's several feet away from the flowerbox. Nevertheless, no matter how the plants were seeded, I know that we have an awesome God who cares more than enough for us! I don't have to worry, and I am so grateful for these two beautiful reminders. How has God reminded you not to worry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...