Friday, August 31, 2012

My good baby.


"Is he a good baby?" she asked, after oohing and ahhing over his head full of hair and his bitty chubby cheeks.
"Oh, yes!" I proudly replied, cuddling him a little closer.
"Good, so he's sleeping through the night already? That's great!" It wasn't so much of a question, as an assumption. And, before I had a chance to reply, she had hurried away to chat with someone else.
He does not sleep through the night. Ever. And, I don't expect him to do so; he's not even three weeks old yet! But, for some reason, that conversation keeps replaying itself over and over in my mind. Is sleeping through the night at an abnormally young age the only stipulation for being "good" at this age? Of course not. But, I guess some people tend to forget about this age when their own babies are grown. This age is hard. Throw a toddler into the mix, and it's even harder! Not impossible, but darn close.
Nate was one of those perfectly easy babies who slept for the entire first two months of his life. He very rarely cried, and, as a new stay-at-home-mom, I was often bored in those early days. Sleep deprivation? Not a problem when I could "sleep when the baby sleeps" all. day. long. Night feedings were a breeze; he whimpered, he ate, he was asleep again.
Levi is not Nate. Levi is a somewhat colicky baby who sleeps in one hour increments all night long. During the daytime, we may or may not get a little more time. He's tired, and he wants to sleep--but is often woken up with painful gas bubbles in his belly. The gas results in lots of crying (mostly on his part, some on mine!). And, when he is asleep during the day, I have a toddler underfoot who just doesn't want to sleep every time the baby does!
I feel as though I've been walking around in a sleepy fog for days now. As much as I love newborn cuddles, I keep telling myself that this will be over soon. Levi will grow up way too quickly just like his brother. Sooner than later, our bedroom will be baby-free at night, and I'll be checking on two boys in their bedrooms before I go to sleep. A certain [sleep-deprived] part of me can't wait!
But, for now, I have an almost-three-week-old little one. And, he is sweet and adorable and good! I might be exhausted beyond belief tired, but these days are precious. I wouldn't trade either of my babies for the world, and I know that I am blessed more than I could have ever dreamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...