Since I had been charting my fertility cycles for months, I knew that I was only 10 days past ovulation, which is a little early for a pregnancy test to be accurate, and I didn't really want the disappointment of a negative test, so I decided not to test for a few more days (my goal: I would take a pregnancy test on my birthday {5 days post-Christmas}).
We spent Christmas Day visiting family--during which I continued to feel ill; the house felt too hot, the smell of food was overwhelming, and everyone was just so loud! By 7 pm, I could barely keep my eyes open for the ride home. Obviously, I was sick. When we arrived home, I decided that 5 days was far too long to wait, and decided to take a pregnancy test then and there. The second pink line that showed up was only visible if I squinted and held the test just so. I decided that it was negative. But, as the next day passed, I began to doubt my decision. By Sunday afternoon (12/27), I impatiently decided to take another test. This time, there were definitely two pink lines! I was in shock, and raced downstairs to make sure that Eric could see the second line too! He could, although he didn't seem to quite comprehend the news.
Throughout the next few weeks, it began more and more apparent that I really was pregnant! I took about 15 pregnancy tests (I had them, so I might as well make sure, right?), and they all showed me the two pink lines that I was so excited to see! I called my OB and set up an appointment.
By the time my doctor's appointment came, I was 8 weeks pregnant. To my surprise, she turned on the ultrasound machine and gave us our first peek at our little one. We saw a nice, strong heartbeat, and I was in love! At our 12 weeks appointment, we got to have another look at the baby, who was finally starting to look suspiciously like a real baby! I was given a due date of September 4, 2010.
After our 12 week appointment, we shared the news of our pregnancy with everyone we knew! Our families were thrilled, and we could not wait!
I loved pregnancy, I truly did. I never experienced all of those nightmarish pregnancy stories that some women can tell as an effective form of birth control. I only had "morning sickness" a total of three times (all in the evenings), although I did spend an entire month eating only popsicles after 4pm. By the time that I began to feel my little one moving inside of me, I could not have been happier. In April, we found out that A) we were having a boy, and B) that baby boy looked perfectly healthy in every way.
As we began collecting tiny blue onesies and reading baby name books, I could not imagine a better life. My pregnancy was flying by without any complications, and it was wonderful. Being pregnant made me feel amazing, beautiful, and confident. Feeling my baby kicking and rolling within me, made me feel like a mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment