Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Burlap Curtain Tutorial.



When we had our new windows installed, I immediately decided that we needed all new window treatments to match. Unfortunately, we spent all of our money on the new windows, so there wasn't much of a budget left for curtains! I'm not much for sewing, but I figured that curtains couldn't be too hard....right? I set to work perusing Pinterest for ideas. But, all of the "easy" curtain tutorials seemed to involve bedsheets or tablecloths...and none of them were at all what I'd envisioned for our living space! I wanted basic curtains that looked nice, let in lots of light, and added texture/interest to the room. And then, I stumbled upon the idea of burlap curtains! I combined a few different techniques to make my panels, and I love the way that they turned out! Not only were they super easy (and affordable!), they also bring the perfect amount of texture and interest into our home! (And, despite what the lady who cuts fabric at Joanne's believes, the burlap smell really does go away quickly; it was gone by the time I hung each panel!)

Here's what you'll need to make burlap curtains:
Burlap (I used about 2.5 yards to make 2 panels/1 window)
Satin Ribbon (enough to line the top and bottom of each panel, about 1 inch wide) - any color you have--even the free ribbon that comes on your son's new PJs works; you won't be able to see the ribbon in the finished product!
Straight Pins
Needle
Quilting Thread (to match your burlap)
Iron & Ironing Board

First of all, cut your burlap straight down the middle lengthwise (to get 2 panels from your cut). If you don't know how to cut burlap, here is an easy tutorial. (Do not just start cutting; you need to use that ^ tip or your burlap will be crooked and unravel!)

When your panels are cut, choose an end and iron it over the ribbon to create a fold. The burlap won't stay, but you will have a crease that you can see when you're finished.

Next, fold the burlap along the ironed seam (with the ribbon inside), and then fold the whole thing over again. Pin in place. (See? The ribbon the hidden!) If you want, iron over the whole thing again to smooth--but not if your pins have plastic tops! ;)

Now, use your needle and thread to stitch everything in place. As long as your thread matches your burlap, this is super easy! You can use big stitches, messy stitches, back stitches--whatever you want! Just make sure that they're holding, and you're fine! Mine are super sloppy, but you can't see them at all when the curtains are hanging up!

And, that's it! Trim any visible ribbon from the edges, and repeat the entire process on the other end of your panel. When you have both the top and bottom hemmed, use drapery hooks to hang your curtains up.

Easy peasy burlap curtains! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I never would have thought about burlap as an option for curtains! They're cool. Good for you! Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...